Sunday, January 31, 2010

Knowing "GRATEFUL"

CSR Volunteers at The Salvation Army Prison Support Services 30 Jan 2010

Red Cross x 2, Singapore International Foundation x 1, and The Salvation Army x 2...


30Jan, The Salvation Army, Prison Support Services was the fifth external CSR training I organised. It has given lots of FIRST TIMES...

1. 30 Jan was the Thaipusam, a Indian festival which they will visit the temple. Yet I still have a volunteer who wanted to do good for less fortunate from other religion.

2. It was the first one which I need to arrange for goodie bag. Beginning with the publicity of donation drive, collection of donation, preparing the list of items to purchase, liaising with sponsoring parties, purchase the items, manage delivery to packing, I was in it. Despite some unhappiness, I'm glad that everything went on quite smoothly in the end.

It was not easy to ensure every single cents was spent on the items - Floor detergent, cleaning wares, EE bulb, thimble, cookies, chocolate, drinks and mandarin oranges. And I am so grateful when one volunteer was so supportive when I called out for help. He went earlier that day to the office to help me to send the items that were delivered to office day before. Mmm, as I am writing, I realised that it may not be for me, but for the people that will receive the things eventually. He knew that he is not helping me alone, but more importantly to him, he is actually helping the people.



We were given a room to pack the goodie bag. I was more than happy when I see the team of volunteers took their own initiatives, contribute their ideas and sweat it out to pack 126 goodie bags. What touch me is 2 girls who without asking, organised the empty cartons and boxes nicely for disposal. So GRATEFUL when I don't always have to be the last one who clear the rubbih in mess.


3. It was the more "informal" like training that we had. How? What is the difference with the past events?

Few tips, having NO speech! Knowing your audience and their background will help a lot. Having more than half of the audience of age 3-15, my 2 speakers did not have speech but only simple introduction to get all ready for the training. More importantly, they did not stand behind the podium. They just stand near the first row.

Quiz for kids - With the help from the organiser from TSA, we have modified and prepare yurselves. Quiz was included and prizes was given out. The choice of narrator was another thing that make it successful - Her voice is like kindergarten teacher and so cheerful. It was so right that we could not afford her absence, which is why my boss had called her despite that she emailed me to inform that she was on MC. She was also committed to her promise. :) So grateful to her.

Final rehearsal



4. We were all organisers of the event. The distinct difference of me and Kat was that she really thinks from the perspective of the people. To show the appreciation to my volunteers, the families have made themselves a small fan with our names on it. And we all received it from the hand of the major. BEST group photo I ever had!

5. I decided to tell what is in my heart. Before I left, I told Kat that I have sth very important that I need her help - I wanted to take a photo with her! And I told her that's because I like her so much. She is the first lady whom I work well with without any pressure. And she is so cheerful whenever I saw her and talk to her. She is my idol.




6. That day, I had housewarming at Kulai. I had to rush back to Boon Lay to take dear's cousin car back. All were waiting for me and started calling me since 4.30pm. Event supposed to end at 4pm but i left ard 4.45pm. Waited 30 mins for a cab at Changi industrial area, I told myself,"Don't worry. You have just done sth good and sth good will happen." One volunteer's car appeared! huhu.. He gave me a lift to Thomson Road to get a cab. I managed to reach Boon Lay at 6pm with only $17...So Grateful...

7. It was the first event which I left without packing the props. I have to learn to let go and trust my team.

8. The publicity to call for volunteers for TSA event was different. We used to call for CSR volunteers and tell them what they will be doing. This round, by having an activity, we call for target group. Everything arises from "Think from their perspective!"

What I have gained

1. Ordering of the items - check clearly delivery time frame

2. Leverage - call for help. I have purchased some items from NTUC and some from Giant (because some donations are in vouchers). Giant will be late if they deliver to the location on 30 Jan. So I had to ask them to deliver to office day before. I was thinking of doing all myself by just calling a cab on Sat morning. NO! I changed. I called for help and a volunteer agreed to help me to send the things there!

3. Count the items - Flr detergent was short in qty. Do not feel embarrassed to count all items when it was delivered. It is not "AUNTIE" or "KIASU", but your responsibility to make what was ordered was delivered.

4. Be assertive and decisive - NTUC driver suggested to reimburse in cash and we buy the detergent ourselves. He said he will be late and he got other delivery. I can easily ask for help from volunteers. But that's not the way. I told the driver,"Whether you or my colleague go, the time taken is the same. But I do understand that you have other deliveries to rush before 1pm. So why not you go and buy and we are fine as long as you can bring it back before 2pm. " YES, a deal made!

5. Let the team manage the goodie bag. See who is more trustworthy and entrust him/her more important task. 2 RO girls was so helpful that they even tidied the cartons and boxes

6. Communications among team can be improved - so everyone know the program and their roles.

7. No Stage Manager. The "fridge" stand was not done properly and it collapsed during the skit. No one react fast enough to fix it.

8. Simplify the role of facilitator. Maybe assign a team leader next time.

9. When program overrun, don't just let it overrun. Ask the organiser how much time they can afford. Respect their program and time.

10. Tell yourself then everyone, "Must enjoy yourselves too!"



Back row from left: Jun Hua, Azlind, Edna, Yuan Teng

Middle row from left: Petrina Robin, Kiang Lim, Kader, Daniel, Parthiban, Chris, Meng Yi

Front row from left: Yinghua, me, Saadiah, Morinah

Thanks to SRC (Sports & Recreation Club) and PUB for contributing the Jurong Bird Park DINO tickets and thimbles set.

No comments: